Thursday, June 6, 2013

Cheyenne Work Day

       I followed George in the car the short distance (maybe five miles) from the rest area/welcome center to A B Campground where we have reservations for three nights.  Although we drove north out of Denver, by appearances, we have officially entered "The West."



     

      The distant mountains are out of sight and replaced by rolling green hills for miles and miles, with occasional trees only in more developed areas, although the sign indicates we are still at an altitude over 6200 feet.  The lilacs are in full bloom everywhere and there are lots of large military planes in the air around Cheyenne.

      The campground is older and divided into two sections, so the sites are a little close, but it appears generally well maintained.  We were greeted and parked in the south section.  The owners obviously support our troops, and I enjoyed the unusual brick pattern on the office building.







       Since we were unable to check in before noon, we worked to catch up on emails and phone calls and laundry.  We decided to try the small restaurant inside the campground called A B's Barbecue. For $16 we enjoyed a good brisket and pork meal with trimmings served up by smiling, courteous young folks.  But the ambience of this place was the best deal of all, with many critters peering at us from the walls -- badger, raccoon (this guy stared at me the entire meal), porcupine, pheasant, antelope, and a species known only to this restaurant -- the "fuzzalope," who watched the cash register.

The on-site barbecue restaurant is open 4:30 p.m - 8:30 p.m. 







       I followed GPS into town for an item I needed, only to find more road closures than I've encountered in my lifetime.  I'm not sure what's going on here in town, but I think I circled back and detoured at least half a dozen times on my return.  I was most aggravated because it caused me to miss getting a good photograph of what appeared to be an incredibly beautiful sunset to end a fun work day.  Thursday's plan will be less work and more play!



  


No comments:

Post a Comment