Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Devil's Tower National Monument, Wyoming

View from below the Devil's Tower
   My parents had a book which was something of an abbreviated encyclopedia when I was a child at home.  One of my favorite pages displayed a photo of the Devil's Tower, about which I was fascinated for whatever reason.  Later, the popular tourist attraction was featured in the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," starring Richard Dreyfuss.





View of the valley from the trail above
  

   Since we were only 60 miles away in Gillette waiting for the start of the first of two RV rallies, we drove out to stay a few days in the Belle Fourche National Park Campground to explore the area, and where I would have my first personal "encounter" with the country's first National Monument.  The Devil's Tower, I learned is the core of a volcano which became exposed from millions of years of erosion caused by weather and the Belle Fourche River.


View from my desk window
   Our GPS took us out Wyoming Highway 51, through the really small town of Rozet, with a population of 25, past trainloads of coal, energy plants, and antelope.  We passed through Moorcroft and onto Wyoming Highway 24.  The scenery did not disappoint, and thanks to the senior discount, for $6 per night we enjoyed a level pull through site with a view of the tower just beyond my computer monitor.  Campers, be warned that there are strictly enforced generator hours, so run them whenever permitted.


Our campsite, complete with picnic table and grill -- what a view!


   There were many hiking trails to explore, including a mile and a quarter paved trail around the base of the monument and out towards the amphitheater past Prairie Dog Town.  The Visitor's Center, where we heard many languages spoken, contained lots of informative displays and some interactive exhibits for the kids.  Although I wasn't inspired to climb the tower, we enjoyed watching the climbers make their way up the 867 foot rock. On a day trip into nearby Hulett we enjoyed delightful lunch at The Ponderosa Steakhouse.

Black-Tailed Prairie Dogs at play were fairly vocal with the tourists



Ponderosa Cafe in Hulett, WY

Climber is to the right towards the bottom of the column just above the center of the tree


Bull Snake spoiled my resting space

    Many fascinating Native American legends surround the tower's existence, and it is considered sacred ground, with prayer rags tied on trees alongside the walking path.  I only thought I was going to take a rest when I unknowingly sat down near what I'm told was a Bull Snake!  We stayed four nights (the 13th through the 16th of June) and the weather was perfect, and despite feeling that we were under siege by Box Elder bugs, which made their way into our space, and the removal of numerous ticks from the dogs, we met some great folks and thoroughly enjoyed the area.  



Dream catcher and prayer rags placed by Native Americans along the trails


No comments:

Post a Comment