Thursday, November 21, 2013

Whoa! New Mexico!

    
Finally out of Texas!


   We enjoyed breakfast at the KOA Kafe in Van Horn, Texas this morning.  I had mentioned to George the day before that the front air conditioner seemed to be rattling a lot on the roof.  Thinking it was due to the wind, I walked to the back of the coach and did not hear the same noise coming from the rear unit.  So George climbed up onto the roof and indeed found some loose screws which he replaced to get us to Phoenix without losing the plastic cover in the wind.

Nice breakfast and nice conversation with fellow travelers to start the day


   I walked the dogs to prepare to depart the KOA and the next issue developed which slowed us down somewhat -- one appeared to have an upset tummy.  This made for frequent stops, and we needed to fuel today as well.  I looked at the clock and realized that I needed to notify our friends we were most surely going to arrive a day later than expected.  

Amusing sign!


   Our CD player has been on the fritz, (and it has apparently digested the cleaning disk we fed it in good faith), so we looked forward to finishing the audiobook we had listened to on George's iPhone yesterday.  Well, it seems I had asked him to load our next book so it would be ready once we completed this one and apparently iTunes did not like his methodology.  Consequently, I spent 45 minutes trying my best to play either audiobook with zero success and a rising frustration level.

   Meanwhile, George had asked me to find a good deal on fuel about 200 miles out.  I checked my resources and had a plan in place -- no problem, I thought.  That was until he informed me we were driving into a head wind and we would therefore need to stop about 100 miles sooner.  I check my resources while fighting the audio equipment and determine this would place us roughly in El Paso, Texas -- not my favorite place -- never-ending road construction, traffic, dirt and grime.

   I first checked the Gas Buddy application and found two Murphy stations had the best deal on diesel. My next step was to set the via point in the GPS so that I could relax and return to my mission of finishing that audiobook.  Well, the El Paso Walmart addresses on GPS were not the same as the ones found with fuel pumps in Gas Buddy.  So, I dig out another resource -- my iPhone which I now have to remove from the audio connection since we have given up on George's and decided to play some music on mine.  My Allstays application shows a map with approximately 15 Walmart stores, again none of which are those I am seeking with fuel pumps.

High roads and low roads!


   Before I can get the GPS plugged back into its receptacle, again reaching over George's head and shoulders as he drives, he exits because he believes he hears me ask him to take that exit, which I probably had only mentioned as an exit with a Flying J.  We decide to give up the hunt for the bargain and go with that in front of our face.  I set out to walk the sick dog first and fight to keep her nose out of fire ants and her paws out of the broken glass embedded in the only available surface -- sand and rocks.  The second dog goes next although he really dislikes stepping on rocks and getting his feet dirty.

   We fuel and return to the interstate, making our way through cones and slow-downs and stop at the rest area and welcome center just across the state line in New Mexico.  George takes a long nap.  I walk the dogs, return phone calls and emails, and grab a sandwich.  My head is congested and throbbing.  My nose is dripping.  My eyes are watering.  George wakes up and we decide to move on up the road.  

El Paso!


   A quick Walmart overnight seemed appropriate since we had full hook ups last night and will have just a short hop to our destination in Benson, Arizona on Friday.  My choices are nearby Las Cruces or Deming which is about an hour out.  I decided since George is rested and it's not going to be dark (thanks to the time change), and neither of us is feeling well, we should shoot for Deming.  

Low-lying smog seems to surround this city


   We arrive at Deming Walmart to find lots of truckers and RVers also made that decision.  We found a spot to park for the evening, although I was not all that excited about its position in the parking lot.  I leave the coach while George goes in to get manager approval and return with the walked dogs (we finally found a small patch of grass), only to find a very LARGE sewing needle, at least three inches in length, right in the path of our rear tire on the passenger side.  I had read in the reviews about security, but my worrying mind wondered if it was an indication there might be a problem with malicious mischief.

   The Mandalay needs a bath big time, and it's embarrassing like this. But it really makes no sense whatsoever to wash it until we get to Phoenix where we can get a good wash on site.

Popular stopping place at Walmart in Deming, New Mexico

   I received some great news at the end of the day -- my daughter will be joining us for Thanksgiving in Phoenix -- excitement!  My grandson reminded me on the phone that it's only 27 days until I get to see his smiling face.  And it occurred to me that our DVD player just might play the audiobook CDs for us.  We tried it and it worked!  Tomorrow we'll see friends and enjoy the ride, but right now, the trash bag is quickly filling with used Kleenex and we're just too sick and too tired to worry further about the rig or where we sleep.  Some days just don't go as planned.  I'll take my cold meds now and join George and the kids in bed.  Our bodies are trying to tell us something important -- it's time to slow the pace!





1 comment:

  1. We listened to a great audio book one time and it was very long, when we got to the last disc it wouldn't play. I've always wondered how the story ended.

    ReplyDelete