Friday, January 17, 2014

Kansas City, Here I Come!

The 4' tree fits nicely atop our steering wheel.
   Following George's Minneapolis Thanksgiving trip, we began to further settle into our spot at Meridian RV Park in Apache Junction, Arizona.  This is a 55 and older park with RVs only and no park models.  We've been visiting here during the winter months for four years now and have met some fantastic people.  There are so many activities from which to choose, and the facilities are nice and clean.  We especially like the dog runs so that our two Shelties can get some good exercise while we're here.

   The shopping season was short this year, and I had planned a six day visit with my son and his family in Kansas City before Christmas, so I shopped and wrapped and packed and shipped until I dropped.  I at least found the time to put up our very small Christmas tree.  One evening when I was pretty much shopped out, a gorgeous sunset met my tired eyes as I exited the store, as if to say things could only get better, which they did.

A gorgeous Arizona sunset was a beautiful sight for shopped-tired eyes!

   I found time for some hiking with fellow campers and morning workouts, while George participated in the "Liar's Club," a group of men who gather to solve the world's problems over a cup of coffee.  I checked the weather before packing my carry-on bag to learn, as is so typical, that my day of arrival the high would be 61 degrees and two days later would be below freezing.  Needless to say, I had to pack lots of layers for this trip.

A few of the folks that make hiking far more interesting!

   My sister, Leanna, picked me up and the airport and we had a fabulous lunch at Ruby Tuesdays.  I joined her and her daughters for shopping, lunch and a movie the next day.  We saw "Delivery Man," a comedy with Vince Vaughn, which was lighthearted and fun.  


A googly-eyed Grady!
  There's nothing quite like children, though, to brighten the holidays.  My son, Rob's, kids are now three-year-old Grady and one-year-old Annalynn, and they are extremely entertaining.  I had packed a few silly items I picked up at the Dollar Tree, which I thought would amuse Grady -- ugly fake teeth, google-eyed glasses, and a whoopie cushion. 


Many thanks to my son's family for a memorable holiday!
   I was waiting inside their home, and when I heard Mommy's car pull into the garage, I slipped on the bad teeth and went out to the car to greet them.  My plan was that he would ask what had happened to me, and I would say "Oh, did I forget to brush my teeth again?" and go upstairs and pretend to brush and then come back as normal.  FAIL!  Instead ugly-toothed Grandmother was met with a horrified stare, so the prank ended there.  We explained that I was wearing fake teeth like the vampire teeth he had from Halloween.  I then felt the need to discuss my next two pranks to Mel, his mother -- which was beyond wise, because little did I know that this three-year-old boy had asked Santa for only one thing -- a "whoop" cushion!  So, not wanting to spoil Santa's surprise for such a good boy, I handed Mom a spare, just in case of breakage.  I was thinking to myself how surprised Santa must have been about Grady's unusual request.

Christmas in the Park was Grady's idea -- and a gorgeous one at that!

   And Grady had his own plans for me.  He wanted to take me to Christmas in the Park, a holiday lights display out at Longview Lake.  It really was spectacular, and although he's a frequent visitor, I found it special that he wanted to share this experience with me!

Annalynn stealing big brother's chair at every opportunity.
   Little Annalynn, with her newly found mobility, is now competing for Grandmother's attention and for brother, Grady's, chair and toys.  The firstborn is learning just how difficult sharing can be.  When we were about to open a few presents early before my departure on Christmas Eve, he explained that he and "Sissy" would share their gifts and that she could keep the trash.  Thankfully, she's of an age where she really likes the bows and wrapping, and he'll eventually get bored with riding her pink train with her little pink purse over his arm and go back to football and video games.

   My daughter, Lindsay, flew into Kansas City from Boulder.  Her friend, Kevin, drove down from the Twin Cities, and the two of them joined us for a fabulous dinner Mel prepared the Monday before Christmas. The "big kids" kept me up much of the night with an especially challenging jigsaw puzzle, but our teamwork and determination prevailed.  What a great visit!

The most DIFFICULT jigsaw puzzle I ever helped to work!

  Lucky for a very tired me, I was selected for the TSA Pre-check on the way home.  So the airport was a breeze -- no line, no need to remove my laptop, coat or shoes, simply the change in my pocket and I was through screening!  I napped through the Christmas Eve talent and music program back here at the park, which George thoroughly enjoyed, and the two of us spent a wonderful Christmas Day and dinner with friends together at Meridian.  

Early Christmas dinner with Meridian friends

   Our gift to each other this Christmas was a much needed new and improved website for the RV Driving School, www.rvschool.com.  Two holidays down and only one to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment